FZ1000: AE Lock + Backbutton AF ?

Started Aug 28, 2014 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
Flat view
Hatstand Senior Member • Posts: 1,345
FZ1000: AE Lock + Backbutton AF ?

If I'm using AFC and back-button focus, I can't lock exposure using half-press shutter, and then recompose... because AE lock only works in AFS mode.

I also can't use the AF/AE lock button or a Fn button, because AF/AE lock is set to "AF-ON".

Unless I'm missing something? Assuming I'm not... if I want to use Backbutton focus AND still be able to set autoexposure on a certain part of a scene - how best to go about it?

Some options I can think of:

1. Set Direct Focus Area to "ON", and avoid the need to lock exposure and recompose. However, functions that are normally assigned to 4-way buttons, must then be accessed by Fn buttons or menus instead.
  2. Set AFS/AFF to "AFS". When exposure lock is needed, move the AF lever from AFC to AFF/AFS. Half-press shutter will then lock AE.
  3. Use AFF with Backbutton focus, instead of AFC (so the AF lever is always on AFS/AFF). When exposure lock is needed, change AFS/AFF from "AFF" to "AFS". Half-press shutter will then lock AE. (I'd use a Fn button to toggle between AFS and AFF)

Are there other options?

#1 doesn't appeal, Direct Focus Area felt slow and clunky when I tried it, and I like having the default functions on the 4-way switches available.

#2 and #3 are ultimately choices between using AFC and lever, or AFF and a button... and I'm thinking #3 would be the one for me.

That way, I could avoid AFC which I am now slightly suspicious of... and my chosen Fn button could simultaneously enable AFS, AE lock, and manual focus (because I have AF+MF set to "ON").

Might be a waste of a Fn button though - perhaps better to use my custom Q.Menu, since I might need to switch to spot metering at the same time... Hm.

Panasonic FZ1000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow