Aftermarket batteries are just as good as OEM

Started Aug 18, 2014 | Discussions thread
TrapperJohn Forum Pro • Posts: 16,488
It's a cost/risk thing

You're also at risk with the people who run the circuit board assembly line. Did they use the correct flux on the selective solder machine? Dilute the flux to stretch it further, and the solder joints let go after a year or two, or enough environmental thermal cycling. Or, put an inexperienced (low wage) person working the machines, and various things can go bad that won't show up until long after that board has been shipped. From what I've seen, in cheap manufacturing, they're more likely to cut corners in the assembly phase than in the design phase, though the end result is the same.

Personally, I don't see risking a $1k+ camera body to save $70-80 on a pair of cheap batteries that won't last as long, or deliver as much power as the originals. Not to mention what can happen to the camera if the battery goes south. I can see economizing on SD cards, if you don't mind the chance of data loss, but not the tiny little bombs otherwise known as li-ion batteries.

These people who mix chargers and batteries, and put cheap batteries in expensive cameras, really have no idea what sort of fire they're playing with. I've worked with large automotive li-ion packs. Whey they fail, the result is... spectacular.

I keep looking at the pile of big 3v/7 amp cells, larger than a D cell, on the reject pile at work when the bus bar welder goes wonky, and thinking: two of those would make a heck of a flash power supply. But, those are naked cells, no voltage protection circuit... if they became unstable due to voltage problems, you would not want them hanging in a pouch next to your chest.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow