Any Advantage to Full Frame?

Started Aug 26, 2014 | Questions thread
Flashlight Veteran Member • Posts: 6,910
Re: Final Spatial Resolution: Facts get in the way of opinions

KSV wrote:

Flashlight wrote:

Jack Hogan wrote:

Flashlight wrote:

I guess you made a mistake here as it counters your story; FX has less resolution in your example.

Ah, but that's exactly the point that many miss and/or misunderstand when evaluating equivalent final-sized iimages. What counts is the resolution on the final image (line pairs or widths per picture height) not the resolution on the sensor (line pairs per mm).

Lenstip.com says that a FF setup such as the above will result in MTF50 at 44 lp/mm on the sensor. That means 2112 lw/ph on the final image because:

Final Image Spatial Resolution = 44 lp/mm x 24 mm/ph x 2 lw/lp = 2112 lw/ph

That's the figure that counts. There is no economical, Equivalent DX setup that will achieve 2112 lw/ph in large part because of the smaller format's smaller sensor. To do it it would have to show MTF50 at 66 lp/mm on the sensor. Never seen it. If there is such a DX setup let me know and I will run out and buy it.

There are many gray areas when comparing IQ from different formats and technologies. Linear spatial resolution is not one of them. A larger format will typically easily outperform a smaller one (as far as FF vs DX and mFT are concerned easily=cheaply). That's one of the reasons why Ansel Adams shot 4x5 and 8x10 - and so would I if I only could reasonably justify it for my amateurish landscape uses

If all that is true can you explain why there seems to be almost no difference in resolution between these two samples?

-- hide signature --

Philip

610 looking better to me, though margin is small. And BTW what lenses was used?

D610 looks to have a little more resolution but also a little more moire. But realize you're looking from about 25 cm at something like a 1.5 meter (5 foot) wide print.

According to the exif a Sigma Macro 70mm F2.8 EX DG was used on both cameras and both images shot with f/8.

-- hide signature --

Philip

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
KSV
KSV
KSV
KSV
KSV
KSV
KSV
KSV
KSV
KSV
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow