Next 4K camera?

Started Aug 27, 2014 | Discussions thread
Dheorl Veteran Member • Posts: 4,119
Re: True 4K vs pseudo 4K

Beach Bum wrote:

Dheorl wrote:

Beach Bum wrote:

GoneMirrorless wrote:

Seriously looking at Fuji and Sony, but 4K caught my eye. My monitor is higher than 1080p resolution and I am saving for a new TV which may be 4K. The GH4 is pricey but looks good. I want an ILC. There is a wild rumor the M1 may get 4k. Are more 4k cameras coming?

If 4K is your thing, you should be careful about the onslaught of pseudo 4K that's going to be coming. By this, I mean 4K that has no better resolution than 1080p. It's simply a waste of resources to have to shoot and edit this. Plenty of smartphones shoot pseudo 4K, and it's eventually going to spread to the real cameras. You should especially watch out for 4K claims from other than Panasonic or Sony.

The only two consumer cameras with true 4K at this point are the Panasonic GH4 and the Sony AX100. Everything else is junk.

Canon have already made a fairly decent 4k camera. Only thing is I'm not sure if it will trickle down due to their determination to "protect" their own cinema line.

It wouldn't surprise me if Nikon suddenly came out from nowhere with something good either. There's been various rumblings about them working on a monster of a video SLR of some sort, could be interesting to see what comes of it.

Nikon has NEVER done anything good with video. EVER. And until I see some monster for them, I consider them to be complete dead wood on this front.

Canon doesn't do anything good at a price point that the typical consumer buys. And even with cameras like the 5D3, it's almost strictly only for pros due to the poor contrast autofocus.

I'll say it again. It's really a two horse race, Panasonic and Sony, until someone else gets of their ass.

I kinda think you missed what I was trying to say but tbh you don't seem like you'd listen even if I tried to explain myself. Oh well.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow