Any Advantage to Full Frame?

Started Aug 26, 2014 | Questions thread
romfordbluenose Senior Member • Posts: 2,959
Re: The same as film

MisterHairy wrote:

romfordbluenose wrote:

5th street wrote:

Matsu wrote:

A larger recording surface allows for larger reproduction and more overall dynamic range.

This is something I've been puzzling over and I don't understand. If each sensor has 24 MP then it seems to me that (unlike film where a larger film has more sensitive area to be exposed to light) if the larger sensor (D610) has the same number of pixels as the smaller sensor (D5300 or D7100), the resolution should be the same. For example if you took identical photos with the two size sensors, the ability to crop and enlarge a part of the photo would be equal. The large sensor camera and the small sensor camera (with the same total pixel count) could be printed with roughly equal success on large paper. Of course, in the case of the D810, the greater pixels would lead to better enlargements. I'm using common sense with this and might be overlooking something.

This comment applies to your term "larger reproduction".

I don't understand enough about dynamic range vs pixel count to comment. I would appreciate further explanation. Thanks.

The difference is the size of the pixels which is important. Larger pixels can take more light, improve dynamic range, produce less noise and improve IQ and detail.

The D610 and D810 both have better noise characteristics than the D700 so clearly, "pixel" size is not the controlling factor.

You may respond that the D700 is older technology, and while that is a valid comment, when comparing contemporary technology, the larger sensor always produces the better print, and the resolution of the sensor becomes immaterial after a point.

Of course, to prove this to yourself, you would have to process and print the images to see.

I tned to disagree with your comment. Pixel size is important on comparible technology and does make a difference, but yes the imporvements in sensor design does mean that the D610 and D800 outperforms the D700 sensor.

So yes on similar technology the larger sensor wil  produce the better images. Pixel size is part of the definition and design of that technology though.

romfordbluenose's gear list:romfordbluenose's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS30 Nikon D800 Nikon D5300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +11 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
KSV
KSV
KSV
KSV
KSV
KSV
KSV
KSV
KSV
KSV
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow