Any Advantage to Full Frame?

Started Aug 26, 2014 | Questions thread
KSV Veteran Member • Posts: 3,351
As usual....

5th street wrote:

I use a D90 and am considering a D7100 or D5300 or D610. If I understand things correctly, there is no advantage at all, for my use (noise in low light is not a concern to me), of a D610 over the two DX choices. The disadvantages of the D610 include a narrower depth of field (all things being equal), higher cost for camera, higher cost for lenses, more weight and larger size. Surely, I must be overlooking or wrong about something given the increasing popularity of full frame. Where am I wrong in my thinking?

...the truth somewhere in between. DX is better for some application (long side is most noticeable) while FX better in others like wide side and high ISO. Many appreciate smaller weight/cost/size of DX. Yes I am aware of recent thread that claims of no advantage, but IMHO there was comparison of oranges and cucumbers, not even apples. Also DX has advantage of wider coverage of frame with AF sensors and using "sweet spot" of FX lenses. People who like to have both advantages have both system. For rest it depends what you value more. Nothing wrong not to have FX.

PS I would go for D7100 vs D610, crossing out D5300

KSV's gear list:KSV's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Nikon D700 Nikon Df Nikon AF Nikkor 24mm f/2.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D +8 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
KSV
KSV
KSV
KSV
KSV
KSV
KSV
KSV
KSV
KSV
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow