Any Advantage to Full Frame?

Started Aug 26, 2014 | Questions thread
mikemsphoto Senior Member • Posts: 1,775
Re: Any Advantage to Full Frame?

5th street wrote:

mikemsphoto wrote:

You gain in wide angle ability but lose on the telephoto end. If you like to shoot birds, maybe you should stay with DX. If you like to shoot architecture, FX has a definite advantage in the wide angle options.

Also FX viewfinder image is much nicer.

Good points; I had not thought about the viewfinder difference. This may depend on too many factors to give a definite answer, but in general, do you think that the FX telephoto end disadvantage can be overcome by a tighter crop in post processing?

You can always crop any image tighter but you are tossing away sensor real estate that it would be better to have covered with the actual image you want. Obviously a D800/810 sensor gives you more pixels to start with so you'll have more pixels left over after your crop.

I think if you are going to make the move to full frame, you should also factor in the cost of acquiring the lenses that will do the body justice. There are lots of threads from guys who felt they just had to get a full frame body and then start threads asking can they still use their 12-24 DX zoom from 18mm on up. Etc. Etc. Yes you can but kinda lame.

If you have a bag full of Dx kit that you like and the setup works well for what you're shooting, I'd say ask yourself if you are prepared to have your camera bag get heavier and your wallet lighter. There are guys here who will split hairs over this but a camera bag with all 3 trinity lenses is heavy and something that you definitely want to have insurance coverage on.

-- hide signature --

Michael Sherman
http://www.msphoto.ca

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
KSV
KSV
KSV
KSV
KSV
KSV
KSV
KSV
KSV
KSV
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow