What new from Sony E-mount around Photokina?

Started Aug 23, 2014 | Discussions thread
EinsteinsGhost
EinsteinsGhost Forum Pro • Posts: 11,977
Re: What new from Sony E-mount around Photokina?

audiobomber wrote:

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

The Canon 50 with adapter is 62mm long, which I believe is also the length of E 50. The lens looks somewhat larger on the body mainly due to how thin the E-mount bodies are. And this is how the little Canon 50/1.4 RF lens looks on NEX-6:

I wonder if this may be the explanation for the EF50's size? Sony may have used an existing 50mm f1.8 formula and just added space to get to the registration distance.

Nope. You missed my point. Sony has an A-mount version, DT 50/1.8 SAM, which is smaller (and completely different optically). It is also lighter but mostly due to build (being one from plastic fantastic trio). E 50 is a completely different lens (even when you don't take stabilization into account). In fact, Sony 50mm f/1.4 (also A-mount and a FF lens) is even smaller than DT 50/1.8.

What I said earlier was that such lenses for SLR mounts can be, and have been, made smaller, something allowed by longer flange. This is not a luxury with systems that have very short flange. This was the point made with Canon 50/1.4, a Rangefinder mount lens from 1959. At 52mm, It is the longest of all 50mm lenses I have. The Canon was designed for 28mm flange (Leica) mount. So, you could say, film plane to front tip of the lens is 80mm (52mm + 28mm).

My shortest lenses is Contax Zeiss 50 (closely followed by Minolta 50), which, coincidentally, is also the longest flange, also adding up to about 80-82mm. Pentax, in your case, also uses one of the longest flange (similar to CY of the Contax Zeiss), and if you add up, you will have the length in the vicinity of 80-82mm as well.

Sony E 50 operates on an 18mm flange, and is 62mm long. That adds up to: 80mm. Sony FE 55 is longer (70mm), but also has 5mm more in FL.

50mm lenses still primarily based on old optical formula (Sony 50/1.4, which is based off Minolta 50/1.4 Mk II, which was based off Minolta 50/1.4 MkI, and perhaps applies to Pentax DA as well, and Canon and Nikon 50s), tended to be smaller. If you take note, the new lenses are significantly bigger. Nothing comes close to Otus 55/1.4, but Sigma 50/1.4 ART is also very big. Now, Samsung 50/1.4. And even Pentax 55/1.4 SDM which nearly doubles the length of 50/1.4 while adding 5mm to FL.

If you consider that, E 50/1.8 doesn't sound bad. In fact, I consider Sony FE 35 an impressively compact lens for that reason. It is 36mm long, so not a pancake lens. However, it works on 18mm flange, so an effective working length of 54mm. OTOH, the typical SLR mount itself is about 43mm.

I have a Pentax FA 50mm f1.4. it is the smallest of its kind that I know of.

EinsteinsGhost's gear list:EinsteinsGhost's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow