Please help with picking my first DSLR

Started Aug 26, 2014 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
bladerunner6 Regular Member • Posts: 435
Please help with picking my first DSLR

We are going on a cruise next year and I am thinking of finally upgrading from a P&S (Kodak Z1015IS 10 megapixel) to a DSLR.  I was thinking of  trying to stay under $700.

I understand that most of the lenses included in consumer kits are typically lame, so I have thought about buying a less expensive camera like the refurbished Canon T3i or even the 12 megapixel T3 and spending money instead on a better lens or maybe two.

I also have a couple of lenses from my Nikon film camera: a Nikon 28-80 AF and a Tamron 75-300, model #872D.  I understand these are compatible with some, but not all Nikon DSLRs but I don't know if there is one in my budget that is compatible.

Finally, I have thought about the two lens Pentax K-50 kit from Costco with the 18-55 and 50-200 lenses.  I know it is a kit but at least with Costco I can return it easily and quickly with essentially little fuss.  I also like the  second year of warranty.  (I would also buy the refurbed Canons or the hypothetical Nikon with a credit card that extends their warranty).

Any opinions, thoughts, observations or suggestions? My only other comment is please don't suggest I bust my budget to $1200, $1400 or whatever.  I might be able to work in some flexibility but we are trying to be practical about how much we will spend. I just got an iPad, we are going on a cruise in a mini-suite and a few other minor things, so we are trying to work within a budget.

Thanks in advance.

bladerunner6's gear list:bladerunner6's gear list
Pentax K-50 Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Sigma 10-20mm F3.5 EX DC HSM Pentax smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL WR Pentax smc DA 50-200mm F4-5.6 ED WR +5 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow