The Past "Photography" the Future "Imagery" Not for ME!

Started Apr 17, 2014 | Questions thread
Mr McClicky
Mr McClicky Regular Member • Posts: 195
Re: The Past "Photography" the Future "Imagery" Not for ME!

fcheh wrote:

Just food for thought in the good old days we had Photography: Are we at the Tipping Point of "Imagery" where we PS the F* out of the image and call it Photography? I would love to start a forum just for "What I Saw is What You Get" no post processing allowed, not even cropping just natural the way it happened pictures!

Hey fcheh I hear what you're saying and I agree with you to a certain extent. I also get somewhat nostalgic for the good old days of film photography. I love the medium. The whole chemical/organic process of light activated silver halides sandwiched in between layers of red,blue and green or cyan, yellow and magenta color dyes sent through a process of chemical solutions etc, etc.

Just thinking about it makes me salivate for shooting a 35 or 70mm camera

However, I kind of have to disagree with you a bit when you imply that there even ever was a day of "WISIWYG" photography. In fact, the further back in film history you go the less likely you got what you saw.

Even film shooters have to rely heavily on the different variables of the lab's process, the film analyzer and the color timers/graders/colorist who basically were and still are the photoshop artist of film.

I was a color timer and junior colorist for many years and negatives were almost always significantly color timed,however, some more heavier than others in order to achieve the image the shooter envisioned.

I wax nostalgic for the old days of film too, the care, time and process, but man, you have to admit this new digital stuff is really freaking amazing!

Rafael

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
tko
T3
T3
pgb
tex
T3
tko
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
tko
tko
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow