What new from Sony E-mount around Photokina?

Started Aug 23, 2014 | Discussions thread
audiobomber
audiobomber Veteran Member • Posts: 5,764
Re: What new from Sony E-mount around Photokina?

spacemn wrote:

With proper dimensioned AF motor, internal focussing and decent close focussing distance, then it is probably very difficult to make lenses as compact as in the past.

However, the two FE primes are pretty compact FF AF lenses, they don't come much more compact than that.

I don't see them as compact at all. The FE35mm is small, but it's a stop slower than everyone else's 35mm f2, and a similar size. The FE55mm is 2/3 of a stop slower than most 50/55mm f1.4 lenses, which are significantly smaller (Pentax 55mm, Sigma 50mm, Nikon 50mm 1.4, etc). Of course the FE55 is better than these due to more correcting elements, more comparable to premium lenses like the Otus 55, Sigma 50mm and Nikon 58mm, but that goes to my other point. Lenses designed for FF are more likely to be bigger and more expensive, because those factors are not as much of a concern compared to lenses designed for APS-C.

APS-C shooters are pretty nicely covered from the widest angle to normal to long end. Long APS-C primes are missing though, but the 55mm makes a great 85mm equiv. lens and upcoming FE primes for the long end will most likely be very usable for APS-C shooters.

I agree, as long as the new telephoto primes are small and not too pricey. That's not what I expect to see though.

-- hide signature --

Dan

audiobomber's gear list:audiobomber's gear list
Pentax K-3 Sony a6000 Pentax K20D Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 +19 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow