My Prediction: E-M1 Firmware Update

Started Aug 23, 2014 | Discussions thread
(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 3,010
Re: My Prediction: E-M1 Firmware Update

Tony8232 wrote:

Its RKM wrote:

Godfrey wrote:

Landscapephoto99 wrote:

High quality doesn't necessarily have to mean 4K. If the video of the E-M1 improves to the level of the GH3, with the Olympus IBIS, it will be quite an impressive all around piece of equipment. It's just a shame that Panasonic seems stingier with their sensor technology than Sony. I still remember the bad old days of the first m43, before Olympus starting sourcing from Sony for the E-M5, where Olympus was always using hand me down technology in their sensors from Panasonic.

Heat due to the floating sensor will prevent it. This is basic physics.

That isn't physics at all, it is mere speculation.

The main power dissipation on a CMOS sensor is during readout and the EM-1 already runs quite happily at 10fps for full 16Mp resolution - and outputs additional frames in between those to update the EVF. Running at 3x the frame rate (ie. 30fps) with half as much data (4K video) doesn't seem too much, if at all, beyond the power levels that the IBIS system already dissipates quite satisfactorily.

I'm not saying that the EM-1 is likely to get 4K, in fact I think its very unlikely to, but the power dissipation capability of the IBIS mount is unlikely to be a deciding factor - or at all relevant.

heat is built up over time. there is a BIG difference in shooting 50 stills at full resolution for a few seconds to running 8mp at 30fps for even 5 minutes.....let alone much longer takes.

The heat from even 100 full res stills continually would be easily coped with by almost any camera.....what would happen if you (could) shoot continually for 10 minutes at full res???? I think the camera would be very very hot if you could.

If your camera is on then then the sensor is on . The screen and viewfinder are displaying video so what's the differece if its recorded into memory as far as heat dissapation is concerned. Unless they have to drastically up the scan rate for 4k video. Seriously I don't see problem. I must be missing something. This isn't statement of fact it's more a question. What is the issue? I could see the microprossor not being able to keep up or the may be too slow but the sensor overheating why?
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/90891174@N04/

Many cameras overheat and simply stop but they don't do it when recording stills .....only video....actually if you shot stills long enough and fast enough some would too but the buffers are smaller than that.

newer cameras are better in most cases but larger sensor cameras even with HD get hot and if hot enough will stop (or get really noisy).

In some cameras the heat dissipates into the lens mount I think so a huge lens made out of metal might make an excellent heatsink.

I would think that 4k at higher frame rates might be not in some cameras now because of heat issues...

I am no expert in this ......I have an electrical/electronics background but from a very long time ago and I have fat fingers so was lousy at it (I did work in aircraft instrument/electrics for a while and in a powerhouse and battery shop and Navy base electrician briefly).

I worked in a Steel Mill for 32 years as an Electronic Repairman. That line of work is defunct now labor costs coupled with cheap manufacturing have ended that job. It's less expensive and faster most times to replace rather than repair.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow