My Prediction: E-M1 Firmware Update

Started Aug 23, 2014 | Discussions thread
Anders W Forum Pro • Posts: 21,468
Re: My Prediction: E-M1 Firmware Update

Landscapephoto99 wrote:

I don't think Panasonic sold the GH4 sensor to Olympus, but a Panasonic sensor undoubtedly has better video quality than we have seen on the E-M1. Maybe something in between the GH3 and the GH4?

The sensor in the GH4 and the E-M1 is in all likelihood the same (except for the stack on top of it).

http://www.semicon.panasonic.co.jp/ds8/c3/IS00006AE.pdf

http://www.43rumors.com/surprise-olympus-e-m1-uses-a-panasonic-sensor/

Macx wrote:

Landscapephoto99 wrote:

Just thought about this for what it is worth, which yes I know is not that much since I have no insider knowledge:

The huge firmware update for the E-M1 is likely a contract with Panasonic that gave Panasonic a half year or more with very high quality of video before allowing Olympus to unlock those features on their cameras as well. Remember how everyone was surprised that Olympus used a Panasonic sensor for the E-M1 when the Sony sensor was in every other camera?

And it may very well also be something to placate E-M1 customers when Olympus unveils some nice new technology soon in the upcoming E-M5 II

Well, you might be right, but it would surprise me very much if we see anything that comes close to what the GH4 is capable of. My guess is for more frame rate options, at the very least a 24/25/50 fps option. Maybe a higher speed, maybe at reduced resolution. Maybe a 4K mode at reduced fps. Maybe some tweaking of PDAF during video.

Anders W's gear list:Anders W's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +28 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow