Started Aug 19, 2014 | Discussions thread
sshoihet Senior Member • Posts: 2,592
Re: Keep my D7100 for nightclub Photography or Upgrade to D610

GaryR57 wrote:

sshoihet wrote:

GaryR57 wrote:

CBR1100XX wrote:

DukeCC wrote:

If you always use flash, and will continue to do so, then no--it is not worth the upgrade.

+1

I do available light for performances and love the D7100 up to ISO 6400, 12,800 it's actually not even that bad for B&W (which is what all my work is in), there's noise but it's not too ugly of a grain at any size I print (usually 8x10 & 11x14). I actually like it at 12,800 more than my D700, it seems to have a little more DR and red light doesn't wash out the sensor as much.

And as others have mentioned the AF will be a huge difference and is the reason I got the D7100 over the D600. Going from my D7100 to D700 the AF sensor itself is the same so it covers much less on the FX body. With the D610 you've got a smaller AF sensor so it's an even bigger difference and I already find myself wishing for more coverage on the D700, the D7100 has spoiled me!

According to the notorious snapsort:

The D7100 has 1.5 f-stops more dynamic range over the D700 while the D700 has a slight edge (0.9 f-stops) in low noise, high ISO performance.

So it would seem your observations about DR is correct.

DR is only better up to about ISO800. The D600 has better dr and significantly better ability to push shadows. The D7100 is very good but the measured DR doesn't take into account the banding you get in the shadows so that really limits your ability to take advantage of the complete range.

Yes, as previously posted, the D600 has better DR. But the I was comparing the D7100 to the D700 in my replay above.

The D7100 1.5 f-stops (over D700) wouldn't be in the banding range would it?

Most likely,  yes. Most sensors have ~3 stops over middle grey and the rest below so extra DR is usually in the shadows. I do find that the Toshiba sensor in the D7100 handles highlights very well and the highlight rolloff is more similar to film than the Sony sensors. Other than the banding,  I really like the Toshiba sensor and the colours it produces,  I find the reds nicer than the Sony.

sshoihet's gear list:sshoihet's gear list
Nikon D7000 Canon EOS M Nikon D600 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +13 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow