A highly capable, trusty tool to grow with ... and so much fun!

Started Aug 23, 2014 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Madaboutpix
Madaboutpix New Member • Posts: 3
A highly capable, trusty tool to grow with ... and so much fun!

Have been owning the K-3 for less than a month yet, but already shot 600+ images with it, if that is any indication of the fun I've had with it. Coming from a K-7, which I used through nearly five years and 9,800+ actuations, I have been pleasantly surprised by the seamless transition to the new model, which by now almost feels as if I had never shot anything else.

At the same time, I'm confident to say that I'm really impressed with what I've seen of the K-3's performance so far. The Ricoh/Pentax engineers have certainly used the years since the K-7, given that the K-3 seems to be so much better at virtually anything than the older model, except perhaps battery life. One area of improvement that I found particularly striking, and which has got less attention in some of the "professional" reviews than I think it deserves, is the markedly improved metering. The K-7's RAWs, shot with pattern metering, used to be highly malleable but did require some amount of work in Lightroom to make them match my vision, and I frequently had to make exposure adjustments (unless I had already been wise enough to adjust exposure prior or during shoots). With the K-3, it feels like I import those gourgeous DNGs and in 8 cases out of 10 I'm nearly there. Like moving three or four sliders, with little need for bold adjustments, and I'm done! And then there is so much useful information in those files: I wouldn't have thought that it was possible to rescue so much detail from underexposed shadows, and not just at base ISO, without incuring a serious noise penalty.

On top of that, and so many other things I love about this camera, Ricoh has finally given Pentaxians a significantly improved AF (following a trend already discernible in the K-30 and K-5II/K-5IIs). Agreed, the K-3 may still not be first choice for sports and action photographers, but I'm sure that doesn't mean it can't do those in a capable photographer's hands.

Let me finish by stressing once again how much fun can be had shooting this camera, in particular if you appreciate its ruggedness, its zillions of possibilities, the excellent ergonomics, and the wonderful images it can give you. It's the sort of camera that constantly seems to invite you to push things harder, to become a better photographer, while giving you the confidence that it will be the tool with which you can achieve just that.

Madaboutpix's gear list:Madaboutpix's gear list
Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA 10-17mm F3.5-4.5 ED (IF) Fisheye Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Pentax smc DA 35mm F2.8 Macro Limited +2 more
Pentax K-3
24 megapixels • 3.2 screen • APS-C sensor
Announced: Oct 7, 2013
Madaboutpix's score
Average community score
bad for good for
Kids / pets
great
Action / sports
good
Landscapes / scenery
excellent
Portraits
excellent
Low light (without flash)
great
Flash photography (social)
great
Studio / still life
excellent
= community average
Pentax K-3 Pentax K-30 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow