When did you buy last A-mount lens?

Started Aug 21, 2014 | Discussions thread
MediaArchivist
MediaArchivist Veteran Member • Posts: 4,381
Comparisons

I am finding having both lenses fascinating. The Minolta is awesome for low light people shots, where the subject is about 5 to 10 feet away. It has that "look" that it imposes (I think that is the right word) on the shot, somewhat similar to my Minolta 85/1.4G. For a band on a dark stage, it is perfect! For most other uses, like daylight as a walkaround, it is only "pretty good".

The Sigma is large, heavy, and optically almost perfect. I have not found a situation where it falls short... except bands on dark stages. It tends to hunt a bit more in the dark, where the Minolta snaps into perfect focus immediately. I prefer the "look" of the Minolta for those shots— even though I know the Sigma is reproducing the scene more accurately (from a technical perspective).

I am still experimenting, using the lenses in ideal and not ideal situations to see if my impressions hold.

-- hide signature --

Want a roXplosion!?

MediaArchivist's gear list:MediaArchivist's gear list
Sony a99 II Sony 135mm F1.8 ZA Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF Sony 24mm F2 SSM Carl Zeiss Distagon T* Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art +22 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow