'Organic' Prints from Digital Photos?

Started Aug 19, 2014 | Discussions thread
Henry Falkner
OP Henry Falkner Forum Pro • Posts: 13,960
Re: Mass producton

Erik Magnuson wrote:

Henry Falkner wrote:

The print processing machines both at Colour Processing Laboratory in Edenbridge, Kent, England and at Viko here in Auckland, New Zealand had a continuous belt 5 foot wide, dipping into chemical solutions and washes one after the other. At the end was a drier powerful enough to dry 5x4 foot prints (which I produced) in about four minutes.

Bulk printing machines are designed to produce a lot of output per hour. If fully utilized, they tend to cheaper even accounting for all of that chemistry and electricity. But they are terribly inefficient for small scale work.

Colour Processing Laboratories served the Greater London area in the UK last century, and Viko got their work from all of Auckland and Hamilton, from what I remember.

I had a quick look for photo labs in Auckland now. 'PCL Imaging' still offers 35 mm processing. They mention ink jet printing for large prints - but I have to look at their advert more closely.

For my large prints I use Warehouse Stationary, since they also print the radio club newsletter which I edit. Doing the club stuff and my stuff on the same trip saves me time and transport cost.

Henry

-- hide signature --

Henry Falkner - SH-1, SH-50, SP-570UZ
http://www.pbase.com/hfalkner

Henry Falkner's gear list:Henry Falkner's gear list
Olympus SP-570 UZ Olympus SH-50 Olympus Stylus SH-1
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow