'Organic' Prints from Digital Photos?

Started Aug 19, 2014 | Discussions thread
bford Senior Member • Posts: 1,489
Re: 'Organic' Prints from Digital Photos?

Henry Falkner wrote:

bford wrote:

Falkner wrote:

I am not familiar with plastic production. Fibreglass circuit boards seem benign.

I wasn't talking about fiberglass. I specifically said sensors and inks for inkjets.

I can't talk about sensors. All ink set printers I had used water based inks, except one which used spirit based inks. The fumes from that caused corrosion inside the printer, from which it died. Nothing goes down the sink.

Consider the bigger picture of manufacturing effects on the environment.

I deliberately chose the chemical meaning.

When considering the environment you have to look at the whole thing, the bigger picture.

I am comparing home production environments - wet and dry. The ink cartridges I throw away are nothing like the volume of packaging and chemical solutions that I would need even just for 35mm film processing.

I don't recall you limiting your environment comments to the home?

I am comparing laboratories I was working in then, and the dry lab I am using now. See below

A photo-paper print machine to do this would use half their floor area, and gallons of chemicals, cubic meters of water and kilo watts of electricity for drying prints.

Come on, you should know as a former lab technician that it would not take "gallons of chemicals to produce such a print.

The hand operated duplicate sheet transparency processing line I operated had gallon tanks - first processor, wash, stop bath, wash, colour processor, wash, bleach, wash, fixer, wash. Yes, the chemicals came in powder form. But they went down the sink in liquid form. The camera sheet film processors had a bigger capacity.

Those gallon tanks were for many prints, not one print as you said.

Now I consider 'organic' printing unnecessary in most cases,

And yet most labs still print through the traditional wet process.

Maybe the one here in Devonport still does. But our mini lab at the chemist has disappeared years ago. Copy Shoppe uses lasers.

Laser prints? I doubt that. Lasers are used in some lab printers to project an image onto the same traditional wet process paper to make c-prints.

The large ink jet printer they had is no longer there.

No surprise there as inkjet is apparently not suitable for mass printing or companies like Costco and Walmart here in America would use them.

and irresponsible.

Again, when considering the environment you must look at the bigger picture.

The print processing machines both at Colour Processing Laboratory in Edenbridge, Kent, England and at Viko here in Auckland, New Zealand had a continuous belt 5 foot wide, dipping into chemical solutions and washes one after the other. At the end was a drier powerful enough to dry 5x4 foot prints (which I produced) in about four minutes. Our clothes drier is not as big and powerful as that print drier. All prints went through these machines. Viko had water recycling, which had to produce water cleaner than tap water to suit the processing needs.

OK. And? That sounds like a very specialized setup that can't be compared to the typical wet lab.

Henry

-- hide signature --

Henry Falkner - SH-1, SH-50, SP-570UZ
http://www.pbase.com/hfalkner

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow