'Organic' Prints from Digital Photos?

Started Aug 19, 2014 | Discussions thread
JulesJ
JulesJ Forum Pro • Posts: 44,618
Re: 'Organic' Prints from Digital Photos?

Henry Falkner wrote:

JulesJ wrote:

Yes. Every comment I made was referring to the make up of the image and the clusters of silver halide grains crested on the film and paper in the wet process. At no time was I talking about the chemicals or polluting materials used in photography, film or digital. If anyone thought that then I'm sorry that they miss understood what I was saying.

Yes, I did twist your line of arguments by concentrating on the chemical side

I once again apologise if I was missunderstood. By referring to the chemical process I was distinguishing it from the digital one. As in one developed films and the paper and fixed them in 'chemicals'.

As for the gelatine being the only non toxic material, I would argue that the basis of paper (before any whiteners, chemicals etc are added) was pretty non toxic as I believe it's made from trees.

The photo paper itself is benign, the chemicals for processing it are less so. At Colour Processing Laboratories we also used a process called Cibachrome, which was based on fade resistant dyes. That used to rot the shirt off the technician handling it in a working week.

I remember Cibachrome well, it was regarded as pretty good in it's day. We had a Cibachrome process at colege.

I would think that the laminate is not very organic.

In my sheet transparency processing days it was acetate. It does not stretch or warp.

Quite, tears though!

having answered a couple if your points above. Since you did mention me in your op, I am a little confused as to what your point is. Are you saying that the whole (digital?) photography process is a polluting one? A non organic one? Whatever that means. It would be interesting to hear exactly what your angle is.

Again, I did twist your subject. If I caused offence, I apologise.

No problem, I can hold my own on these forums and have for over ten years. I enjoy the 'crack' (Irish term) of the discussions.

I liked the chemical photo processes when that was all there was to be had. But I retain my film cameras solely as historic curiosities. I most definitely no Longer want to spend 30 out of 40 working hours each week in a dark room.

I agree.

Thank you, Jule, for your patience to respond to this thread.

Henry

Why wouldn't I respond?

-- hide signature --

Henry Falkner - SH-1, SH-50, SP-570UZ
http://www.pbase.com/hfalkner

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow