Chickadee Fun with D810

Started Aug 18, 2014 | Discussions thread
John_I Veteran Member • Posts: 6,305
Re: Chickadee Fun with D810

Many Feathers wrote:

Chickadees are lots of fun to photograph as you have shown. Thanks for sharing your photos with the D810.

That said, I don't think the results speak to anything about the D810 per se nor even about the lens used. Here are some samples of chickadees with the ancient Nikon P&S CP8800, D40x, D200, D300 and D700.

Keep on shooting as birds are always willing performers ! ... and they do challenge our skills as photographers!

http://jbipix.com/?s=chickadee

Wow John! Those are some incredible photos! I love the one where he's on someone's hand with a big peanut! Ha! And the ones with wings out...love love love it!

I would love to see you shoot with the D810! I don't know if you looked at my photos at 100% (I actually think some of them are larger than 100% here...don't know what dpreview does to the crop when it uploads it). You can actually see the vanes and barbs in the feathers. If you look at them small, you just don't get the same affect. I tried to zoom in on yours and couldn't. My bet is that although they are MUCH better than mine in many ways, they don't hold near the detail. I could be wrong and you have smaller files on your website. Either way, your photos are fantastic and gave me a good smile and encouragement for further improvement

If you haven't, click on my photos and then click on 100%. Let me know what ya think.

Hey MF. Thanks for the kind comments. I do shoot with a D800e as well, so do appreciate the resolution and detail of the 800 series. Yes. Did look at yours at 100% and see the resolution. From what I have read, the D810 is better for birding (acquisition, focus and tracking) than even the D800e that I use. No question about the 800 series being the best we have ever seen.

Yes. I post only at my blog at reduced sizes as I prefer to try and get out to shoot as often as I can rather than spend too much time on web site. Less often this summer as I deal with some health issues ... and cool inclement weather as well. Many cameras do give reasonable resolution for web and printing up to 8x10 as that is all I do.

Do keep on shooting ... and sharing. All results do help in decision making for the ever evolving technical advances. I must say I am tempted by the D810 but don't like that Nikon has discontinued support for NX2 that I use with filters and spot adjustment although I also use ViewNX2 for post processing and conversion. Hope Nikon keeps it as I prefer it to NX-D.

-- hide signature --

John from Toronto
JBIPix Photoblog - http://jbipix.com

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow