Help request - Blown highlights with my E-P5

Started Aug 17, 2014 | Discussions thread
s_grins
s_grins Forum Pro • Posts: 12,230
Re: Help request - Blown highlights with my E-P5

Maklike Tier wrote:

Apologies in advance for the noob question - I'm still a beginner so I'm still bumbling my way.

With my E-P5 set to auto WB, I pretty much blow the highlights in almost every shot I take, regardless of whether it's sunny or overcast, or indoors.

I post-process every shot so usually I can recover detail in the highlights in Lightroom, but it's still annoying. It seems I either have to under-expose and fix in post, or recover the highlights in post. I've posted an example below - OOC RAW, exported as Jpeg on the left / PP using Lr on the right.

Does anyone have any tips or tricks they care to share?

As shot on the left, post-processed using Lightroom on the right.

Well, if you disagree, just discard the writing of a retarded man:

1. I've found very strange spot light source just above the head, which is very strange for this kind of shots. You can see the trace of this light on the wall behind.

2. If you did not do it, try to set your metering mode to center weighted, and place the metering center on the head of your man. Thus, most important part of the portrait - head namely - will be properly exposed.

But, again, this ceiling light is a culprit.

-- hide signature --

Camera in bag tends to stay in bag...

s_grins's gear list:s_grins's gear list
Panasonic G85 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN Art Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH. / Power O.I.S +3 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
yyr
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow