Aftermarket batteries are just as good as OEM

Started Aug 18, 2014 | Discussions thread
OP Lanidrac Veteran Member • Posts: 8,060
Re: Not worth the risk!

Mike_PEAT wrote:

Lanidrac wrote:

Thats what I've found. Often vastly cheaper and as good or better performing too. What say you?

You pay good money on a camera, why risk it with cheap batteries with no warranty?

Most third party batteries don't have the safety features the OEM batteries do, they "fake" the signals the camera is expecting on the battery's additional contacts. The battery can overheat in the camera and swell to the point of being stuck in the camera.

I once used a third party battery in my equipment...it overheated and melted in the equipment. Never again!

Someone may raise the issue with all the laptop batteries being recalled, but that's just it...if a manufacturer's brand of battery is found to have a defective batch, they can contact registered users of that camera brand and have them check their battery lot numbers. But if a third party's batteries are found to have a defective batch how will they contact you to let you know? They just fix the issue and not tell anyone!

My original OEM 7D battery is garbage compared to the two very good quality aftermarket batts - years later. Not a perfect OEM world as you make it out to be.

L.

-- hide signature --
 Lanidrac's gear list:Lanidrac's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow