sony a6000 or d5300 - photos with my child

Started Aug 18, 2014 | Discussions thread
TTMartin
TTMartin Veteran Member • Posts: 7,304
Re: sony a6000 or d5300 - photos with my child

techiecool wrote:

from everything i read it seems that the 70d sensor isn't as good as the a6000/d5300 though. it also seems to be much larger than a mirrorless like the a6000

There is very little difference in real world usage between any sensors of the same size. A6000 / D5300 / 70D all use an APS-C sized sensor. DxOMark is the most referenced testing site when it comes to sensor performance. DxOMark takes small differences in tests, and using their scoring system makes them seem like big differences in performance. They are not. They also weight somethings they measure much more heavily than others. What they chose to weight heavily may not be important to you at all.

So how much difference on a per pixel basis is there in the DxOMark measurements of the sensors on the two cameras you are considering and the Canon 70D?

Image from DxOMark.com

Image from DxOMark.com

Image from DxOMark.com

Image from DxOMark.com

Almost every other thing you can think of (lens, focus, photographer, ergonomics, etc) will make more of a difference in your photos than the small differences in sensors or megapixels.

-- hide signature --

All statements in my posts represent my interpretation of data, research opinion or viewpoints.
The opinions expressed are not representations of fact, and are subject to change without notice.
All images are used for educational purposes.

TTMartin's gear list:TTMartin's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 (2000) Canon PowerShot SD1000 Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 400D +26 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow