Micro Four Thirds Focal Reducer Shootout

Started Feb 20, 2014 | Discussions thread
Jay Turberville Forum Pro • Posts: 12,917
Re: Micro Four Thirds Focal Reducer Shootout

Interesting - my thick head tries to fully understand the implications besides the hot spotting problem. Is the image circle width related to the exit pupil distance? Does it change as this distance changes? (Among the lenses friends lent to me to use on my E-PL5 there is a seemingly rare Nikon zoom 25-50mm constant 1:4 Ai-S and a "common" Nikon 28-85mm 1:3,5-4,5 AF. I suppose that I could see for myself of the image circle projection on a piece of paper or so?) Could a too wide image circle produce a reflection haze of not fully absorbed light by the adaptor barrel walls that degrades shadows on high contrast bright daylight scenes?

The exit pupil is not the image circle that would be projected onto paper. It is the circle you would see when you look directly through the back of the lens. Take the lens caps off of the constant aperture lens and look through the back while you zoom.  The opening you are looking through will not change size or location.  Now do the same with the variable aperture lens.  The opening on that lens will change size, location or both.

-- hide signature --

Jay Turberville

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow