Nikon 1.8g's vs Sigma 1.4 Art Series

Started Aug 16, 2014 | Discussions thread
Stacey_K
Stacey_K Veteran Member • Posts: 8,913
Re: I'm not sure it's test sites driving the need for higher-resolution lenses...

paulski66 wrote:

...but rather advances in lens design which are allowing affordable, very-fast lenses to be sharp wide open, coupled with the dSLR boom which has opened up a wider market for such lenses.

Whereas in the past, many fast lenses were noticeably less-sharp unless stopped down one or two stops (and even older reviews, written before the "technical review" era would acknowledge this), we're now seeing many fast lenses that are beautifully-sharp wide-open. I don't think this is universally a bad thing.

I don't think it's a bad thing either -if- they aren't giving up something else to get this razor sharpness.

From what I am seeing with these 2 sigma ART lenses, they did give up some -rendering- to get this level of focus plane sharpness. Enough so that I'm not interested in either of these latest sigma primes, in fact I purchased my 58 after I saw the initial round of test shots from the sigma and trust me, I wanted to like this much less expensive lens. For a 35, I ended up buying the MF zeiss when I really would have preferred an AF lens.

My original point was, I am personally OK with a lens not being the sharpest knife in the drawer if it brings other less technical, what I see as positive things, to the table. What I see on the online forums is "the masses" have a tunnel vision focus on sharpness and what it looks like zoomed in at 100%.

-- hide signature --

Stacey

Stacey_K's gear list:Stacey_K's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Nikon D4 Nikon D800 Sony a7 +19 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
9ck
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
xtm
9ck
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow