Can Pentax be used professionally?

Started Aug 13, 2014 | Discussions thread
John_A_G Veteran Member • Posts: 7,453
Re: Can Pentax be used professionally?

SirSeth wrote:

So, if folks use the word "professional" differently to mean slightly different things (say earning 47% of their income from photography, or even 14% vs. 51% or 100%).... well can't we just judge that from the context and move on?

Sure - everyone can choose their own definition.  But, clarifying their definition provides context.  When you are talking about mechanics tools, don't you think it makes a difference if the mechanic is working 40 hours+ a week and earning their $40,000 income from their tools vs the teenager who makes $25 changing his neighbor's oil every 6 months?

Both can call themselves professional mechanics - but when they are advising you as a "professional" what tools to buy, if you know one earns their living wage from it and one simply changes oil every 6 months for a chunk of change.

For example, a friend who did construction as a professional - in my definition he earned his entire living wage (paid rent, car, bills etc) off what he made doing construction used a compressor and nail gun.  Myself, who just helped do some odd jobs for small money didn't need such equipment.  I think you'll find in any industry, when you rely on your tools to pay your rent and put food on the table, your criteria for tool selection changes.

As for the definition of "professional", I have to admit photography is the only area I know of where people are so eager to apply that term to themselves when it isn't their full time job.

My 8 year old son will be glad to know he is a professional car washer, dish washer and house cleaner though - he makes money doing those things.  I guess I can stop saving up for college since he has so many professional jobs already

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
SBS
SBS
SBS
SBS
SBS
JNR
JNR
SBS
SBS
SBS
SBS
SBS
SBS
SBS
SBS
SBS
SBS
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow