Can Pentax be used professionally?

Started Aug 13, 2014 | Discussions thread
SirSeth
SirSeth Veteran Member • Posts: 9,871
Re: Can Pentax be used professionally?

This discussion about what a "Professional Photographer" is _exactly_ is a perennial topic and it seem that people go to great lengths to solidify their position. But is it solid? Usually it seems they are promoting their preference for how a term should be used. I'm sure some folks here participating will ceremoniously set me straight, but isn't the English language especially fluid with many words? I believe linguists call this polysemy--a word or phrase with different, but related senses. (wikipedia).

So, if folks use the word "professional" differently to mean slightly different things (say earning 47% of their income from photography, or even 14% vs. 51% or 100%).... well can't we just judge that from the context and move on?

Oh, of course not because defining terms as one individual feels they should be is a hallmark of internet forums. Well, if that's the case then my opinion of what a "professional photographer" is would be one that owns or works at a photography business that qualifies as a business under tax law. They may make a lot of money (more than 50% of their income) in investments, properties, or other businesses that would not qualify them as being professional photographers under the strict definition given in this thread. I think the whole >50% rule to make one a professional is a bit of an attempt to manhandle reality into a logical black and white box that can be promoted on the internet as argument fodder. Don't worry, that's just my $0.02. Nothing to bother about.

Cheers, Seth

-- hide signature --

What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
--
wallygoots.smugmug.com
wallygoots.blogspot.com

SirSeth's gear list:SirSeth's gear list
Olympus E-1 Sony Alpha 7 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital 11-22mm 1:2.8-3.5 Sony FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS +4 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
SBS
SBS
SBS
SBS
SBS
JNR
JNR
SBS
SBS
SBS
SBS
SBS
SBS
SBS
SBS
SBS
SBS
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow