Can Pentax be used professionally?

Started Aug 13, 2014 | Discussions thread
SBS
OP SBS Senior Member • Posts: 2,297
Re: definition

You are right, John. This is one of the most subjectively defined words in the English language. Too bad we don't use modulated tones in our pronunciations like some languages to help with our definitions. To me, one is a professional if he has enough skill that others will pay for his services, and his services are engaged on a reasonably consistent basis. Still, it implies such a person has lesser skills than those who earn their livelihoods from their skills. This may not be necessarily true, but the implication is there. So, maybe we need another word for the part time professional?

Here are the definitions from your source that I prefer. Subjective City.

Noun
1 A person engaged or qualified in a profession:
1.2 A person competent or skilled in a particular activity:

One final thought: I have always given and accepted credit for the use of words that have more than one implication. In other words, if one uses a word in an unfamiliar way, but it is supported by definition in the/a dictionary, I accept his usage in that manner. The denigration over the use of the word professional in this thread would have been ruled out of bounds if we had a referee.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
SBS
SBS
SBS
SBS
SBS
JNR
JNR
SBS
SBS
SBS
SBS
SBS
SBS
SBS
SBS
SBS
SBS
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow