Should I get an A7?

Started Aug 17, 2014 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Rjansenbr2
Rjansenbr2 Regular Member • Posts: 392
Should I get an A7?

I have just sold my Nikon D610. Loved the image quality, but found it too bulky to carry around (especially with the excellent, but somewhat heavy, Sigma 35mm 1.4).

I am now shooting with my good/old/trusted OM-D EM-5, which is excellent, but I am already missing the extra quality of the FF sensor.

What I´ve learned comparing the OM-D with the D610 is that, in the end, I prefer mirrorless cameras to DSLRs. The swivel LCD is very convenient and I love the EVF, seeing all the information and the fact that what you see is what you get is excellent. And, of course, the smaller size.

I shoot mainly family pictures, many of my 1 year daughter and also travel pictures. Face detection is something that became a huge plus for me, helping a lot taking pictures of my daughter. I guess it should work very well with the A7 (sony is usually the king of those gimmicks!).

Given the current sony line of lens, I may get the kit lens (28-70), plus the 35mm and the 55mm. For my style of shooting I´d be fine with the 55 only (maybe adding something wider later on), but I would get the 35mm for its small size (and despite its smaller aperture).

From what I´ve read, I can see the following drawbacks in comparison with the Em-5 (and similar m43): limited lens line (and generally bigger lenses); no in camera image stabilization.

Are there other drawbacks I should consider?

Is the A7 the right camera for me?

Thanks!

Rjansenbr2's gear list:Rjansenbr2's gear list
Olympus E-M5 II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +2 more
Sony Alpha a7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow