Poppies at the Tower of London
London has an amazing new installation taking place right now. As one of the commemorations of WW1 exactly a century ago, a sea of 888,246 hand-made ceramic poppies are being installed in the moat of the Tower of London, each representing a British or Commonwealth fatality of the Great War. The poppies are being made by 50 potters in a studio in Derby, and installed by 150 red-shirted volunteers, working in shifts. In itself, this installation process is quite a sight for a couple of weeks, and the sea of poppies will remain in place until Armistice Day on 11 November 2014. The sea of red is a vivid reminder of the war's carnage.
This project is terrific on several counts:
- It's a fitting, poignant reminder of the scale of the sacrifice of the Great War
- It's a popular volunteering opportunity for a new generation, some of whose great grandparents may have served in that war.
- It's a wonderful new, free sight for London this summer, particularly for photographers
- Apart from just viewing the sea of hand-made ceramic poppies, you can buy them as well (I already have). They'll be sent after the installation finishes in November.
- The sales of the poppies is expected to raise millions for six appropriate charities.
I took two cameras, my RX100 as a mid-range zoom, and my NEX-7 with the 10-18 ultra wide angle zoom. Here's a mix of my pics from them:
More of my pics from the moat in: https://www.flickr.com/photos/recliner/sets/72157646104454217/
More about the installation in:
- Canon EOS M58.8%
- Panasonic G85/G803.3%
- Panasonic FZ2500/FZ20001.9%
- Panasonic LX10/LX151.2%
- Panasonic GH5 development3.6%
- Sony a99 II15.9%
- Nikon KeyMission 170 and 801.0%
- Fujifilm GFX 50S development28.3%
- Olympus E-M1 II development18.7%
- Olympus E-PL80.1%
- Olympus 25mm F1.2 Pro1.5%
- Olympus 12-100mm F4 IS Pro1.9%
- Olympus 30mm F3.5 Macro0.1%
- Sigma 85mm F1.4 Art3.6%
- Sigma 12-24mm F4 Art2.6%
- Sigma 500mm F4 DG OS HSM Sport2.4%
- YI M12.2%
- GoPro Hero50.8%
- GoPro Karma drone2.2%
|Flower in flower by atdigit|
from Random Items Challenge 26
|Surface tension by atdigit|
from Right in the middle
|A Normal Dat at Thomas's Clap 2016-9379 by Andrew Maltzoff|
from Show us SCHOOL!