Canon 7d-ii rumor: multi-layer sensor a'la Foveon

Started Aug 16, 2014 | Discussions thread
HBowman
HBowman Senior Member • Posts: 1,237
Re: Canon 7d-ii rumor: multi-lawyer sensor a'la Foveon

Erational wrote:

I really do not know what kind of computational power (and heat dissipation) would be able to put through so much information. But, if Canon are not throwing away some of that information, in all likelihood this mythical Canon will have higher resolution than our Sigma's. Sigma would loose it's tiny sliver of the pro market and the SD1 Quattro would be still-born.

This is the main point, like SIGMA. I think the major problem with SIGMA is the pipeline behind the sensor, the power used to interpret the signals. SIGMA should stay in a fork of price so my guess is that the whole electronic guts behind is just ... "ok".

When looking at this rumoured specifications from Canon, two things generate a paradox :

Multilayer and 12 FPS.

What make me half trust this rumour is that Canon have the financial and technical power to do it, unlike SIGMA. SIGMA and Foveon think about it but an independent foundry is actually making the sensor (Dongbu). Canon do have his own foundry, a lot more engineers, a lot more experience with cameras.

Canon need to urgently come back into the game and if they want to have any "advance" they should hit strong to take any advantage.

That said, Canon always tested his new tech in prosumer body before moving to FF.

look at all canon subforums ... are they active ?? no way. No activity on canon forum mean "not that much excitement". They NEED to reverse this.

-- hide signature --

Kind regards - http://www.hulyssbowman.com
Mean Southern Cassowary

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow