Can Pentax be used professionally?

Started Aug 13, 2014 | Discussions thread
JeffAHayes
JeffAHayes Senior Member • Posts: 1,968
Re: Can a horse be ridden bareback?

SBS wrote:

JeffAHayes wrote:

One thing one of their pros has said more than once is that he's A FIRM BELIEVER in having at least TWO different camera systems, in case "issues" suddenly develop with one system, or its supply chain, service department, etc.

So, if you want to shoot professionally, you need to own a cameras store worth of equipment? It's a good thing that photography pays so well these days. Not!

I didn't say I agree with that, and I certainly said I CAN'T AFFORD TO DO IT, MYSELF. But there ARE a great many "serious pros" (the ones who make 100% of their living in photography and have been for some time, and are likely in the 6-figure salary bracket), who both CAN afford to do this sort of thing and also SEE THE JUSTIFICATION in doing it.

I think it really depends on WHERE YOU ARE in your professional career. There truly are, also, some "pros" who are making money, maybe even making some sort of living, with shots they take with an iPhone or some other sort of camera phone, as it's not nearly so much about THE EQUIPMENT as it is what you do with it, and "your eye," how you see things and how well you're able to convey that onto a camera screen.

Flip side, I'm certain there are folks who probably started out with plenty of cash to buy all the best equipment (maybe daddy was rich), and bought Canon 5d Mark IIIs, or Nikon D 800s, etc., along with every lens under the book in whichever platform they chose, but who have "no eye" for the camera, perhaps even after taking numerous courses, and couldn't sell a picture to a blind man who needed the paper to use as a dust pan.

Everything is relative.

Jeff

-- hide signature --

A word is worth 1/1000th of a picture... Maybe that's why I use so many words!

JeffAHayes's gear list:JeffAHayes's gear list
Pentax WG-3 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-30 Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM +8 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
SBS
SBS
SBS
SBS
SBS
JNR
JNR
SBS
SBS
SBS
SBS
SBS
SBS
SBS
SBS
SBS
SBS
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow