Can Pentax be used professionally?

Started Aug 13, 2014 | Discussions thread
JeffAHayes
JeffAHayes Senior Member • Posts: 1,968
Re: Can Pentax be used professionally?

John_A_G wrote:

tom1234567 wrote:

SBS wrote:

Who decides if your a professional is it you or the camera??????????????????

Independence for Scotland
N.S.A. and G.C.H.Q. The only government goons that "LISTEN"?????
I'm a 30yr old trapped in a 63yr old body

agreed. In actuality I prefer the definition that states you are a professional at something if you garner the majority of your living wage from doing it. I think a lot of hobbyists like to call themselves "professional" because they earn a couple thousand dollars from photography - that's like my son being called a professional restauranteur because he earns some money from a lemonade stand So, if you can earn a living wage with iphone photos you're a professional photographer in my book.

That's actually A CROCK, John.

The LITERAL definition of whether you're a "PROFESSIONAL" at any given skill or using any give device or instrument, whether it's a hammer and saw, a lawnmower, a violin, a camera or what have you is if you GET PAID TO DO IT, PERIOD. It DOES NOT HAVE TO REPRESENT ANY PARTICULAR PERCENTAGE of your income.

Certainly, you can use the terminology "semi-professional" for yourself or others IF less than 50% of your income is derived from building houses, cutting grass, playing the violin or taking pictures, but, to quote the Great, Late humorist George Carlin, that's sort of like the "semi-boneless ham." "It either HAS a bone, or it DOESN'T have a bone. If you cut a bone in half, do you have a 'semi-bone?' No. You have half a bone, which is still A BONE!"

If you make ANY income from photography, you are, by definition, A PROFESSIONAL PHOTOGRAPHER, even if you DON'T have the skill, technique, training, equipment and so forth to really be CONSIDERED a "professional photographer" by most who would MAKE such a distinction. There are people who work free-lance in a variety of different fields to pay the bills: they write, they take photographs, they do carpentry, they do gardening work and whatever else. By DEFINITION, those people are PROFESSIONALS in all of those fields, although if we prefer to use the term "semi-pro" to indicate someone who doesn't do this sort of work full-time, then I guess we can.

So, then what do we call Pete, who posted above. I've known him since 1985. He's an editor at an area daily paper, although working primarily for their weekly and monthly paper divisions. So far as I know he shoots few, if any photos for that paper, part of a LARGE conglomerate, but I think he shoots SOME. But he also shoots a couple dozen weddings a year, plus perhaps some other events. He's the one who got ME into photography beyond just shooting a Polaroid in 1985. I'd LONG been INTERESTED in photography, but didn't really know where to start. He had a Pentax MX and suggested I get my folks to get me a K-1000 kit for Christmas, which included a 50 mm F 2.0 lens and a Vivitar 70-210 F 4.5-5.6 lens, plus a flash, I think... And we went from there. I was the first of the two of us to go AF, buying the PZ-1 circa 1992 or 93... Didn't see or hear from him for several years from the late 90s until recent years, during which time he'd gotten into Pentax DSLR, I'd gone through a few "BRIDGE" cameras and I finally got into Pentax DSLR, as well. It's a safe bet that although he MAY actually shoot a picture, here and there, for the newspaper company for which he works, MOST of his salary there comes from his work as a writer and editor and from laying out the paper(s) he manages. Yet I'm certain his photography skills come into play at some point. And, of course, he makes a decent living on the side shooting weddings, and whatnot, but certainly not more than 50% of his "job" salary. So does that NOT make him a "professional photographer?"

I'd say HOGWASH to anyone who'd say it doesn't.

If you make money doing it, you're a professional. How MUCH you make is between YOU and the IRS!

Jeff

-- hide signature --

A word is worth 1/1000th of a picture... Maybe that's why I use so many words!

JeffAHayes's gear list:JeffAHayes's gear list
Pentax WG-3 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-30 Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM +8 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
SBS
SBS
SBS
SBS
SBS
JNR
JNR
SBS
SBS
SBS
SBS
SBS
SBS
SBS
SBS
SBS
SBS
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow