Can Pentax be used professionally?

Started Aug 13, 2014 | Discussions thread
JeffAHayes
JeffAHayes Senior Member • Posts: 1,968
Re: Can a horse be ridden bareback?

That is my story, so what does this have to do with the question? I am using gear professionally, which wasn't really designed for it, and I am doing fine. Yes, the Pentax could easily be used professionally, and I think a lot of the gotchas are not there any more (like low light focus is improved). I felt I was struggling too much at the time to get results I wanted from my Pentax gear (hence the bareback statement in the title of my post), but think I would be fine with their current crop of cameras. With any professional shooting you should have a backup plan.

Eric

I've picked up a great deal during my subscription to Shutterbug magazine, which just began about the first of the year, Eric. One thing one of their pros has said more than once is that he's A FIRM BELIEVER in having at least TWO different camera systems, in case "issues" suddenly develop with one system, or its supply chain, service department, etc.

I'm not flush enough with cash to do that at present, so all my eggs are in the "Pentax basket," but that particular pro, Joe Farace, is COMPLETELY SOLD on Micro Four Thirds as his second system, and says he won't go anywhere without it. I don't recall if its Olympus, Panasonic, or who (does Fuji have that platform?), but he's BIG on it, even though he shoots FULL FRAME in his primary platform, which is either Canon or Nikon, I think.

At this point, as much as I DESPISE them as a corporation (too long to get into here), were I to go two-system, I may consider SONY as a second system; or not, since as I've noted elsewhere it appears Sigma has stopped making a lot of lenses for them, as well.... Maybe you're onto something with your Sigma cameras. After all, Sigma's now making EVERYTHING in the Sigma mount. 

But I'm hard headed. Dog gonnit, Pentax still has the best rootin' tootin' APS-C cameras around -- and the awards the K-3 keeps winnin' PROVE IT! They just need to FIX this service situation "afore I move into the ol' ladies' house an' move the ol' ladies out!" (non-sequiter quote from Yosemite Sam) 

Jeff

-- hide signature --

A word is worth 1/1000th of a picture... Maybe that's why I use so many words!

JeffAHayes's gear list:JeffAHayes's gear list
Pentax WG-3 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-30 Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM +8 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
SBS
SBS
SBS
SBS
SBS
JNR
JNR
SBS
SBS
SBS
SBS
SBS
SBS
SBS
SBS
SBS
SBS
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow