Nikon 1.8g's vs Sigma 1.4 Art Series

Started Aug 16, 2014 | Discussions thread
OP pgeorges Regular Member • Posts: 261
Re: Nikon 1.8g's vs Sigma 1.4 Art Series

SanMat wrote:

Based on your website (looks terrific), you're a much more experienced portrait photographer, so take my response for what it is.

I used to have the Sigma 85 f/1.4. Big and heavy - yes. A while ago I got a bit tired of the weight and wanted the 85mm length for more street/walkaround photography, so I sold that lens and swapped it for the new Nikon 85 f/1.8. I do like the Nikon, and the weight difference is significant. However, if I could go back in time I would, and I'd keep the Sigma (and then perhaps save some more $$ and later purchase the Nikon). I won't attempt to give a scientific analysis, but from my experience the Sigma is noticeably sharper (with terrific bokeh), and does produce great images at f/1.4, so the extra stop is definitely very usable.

I don't think I'll sell my Nikon f/1.8 - it is very good, and in studio conditions especially it's a gem, but that Sigma is definitely a step up all around. I've heard rumors of a new 85 f/1.4 "Art" series lens on the horizon. No idea if that is true - I just think the current Sigma 85 f/1.4 is outstanding. (I've actually thought of picking up a Pentax k-3 to use with that Sigma lens (and other non-stabilized lenses) since the Pentax has the in-body stabilization).

My two cents.

Pete

Thanks!

I did try the Sigma 85 at one stage but just didn't gel with it - I just didn't find the way it rendered the scene all that appealing compared to lenses like to Canon 85LII or the Nikon 85 g's.

Ever since I switched to Nikon and grabbed the 70-200 I tend to use that much more often for portrait shoots since the bokeh is very much to my liking. When I do use the 85 it'd be mostly due to me wanting to carry something less obtrusive which is why I have the 1.8g.

If the 28 is the wide equivalent to the 85 I think it's a lens I will get along with quite well! But it seems to be a lens people skip over in favor of the Sigma hence I wanted some opinions

I am pretty sure I did a major impulse buy on the Sigma 50mm (new lens everyone was raving about just happened to be in stock when I was at the store) and now feel a bit guilty about it as I rarely find a use for it

-- hide signature --
 pgeorges's gear list:pgeorges's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 24mm f/2.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D +4 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
9ck
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
xtm
9ck
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow