Canon 7d-ii rumor: multi-layer sensor a'la Foveon

Started Aug 16, 2014 | Discussions thread
Truman Prevatt
Truman Prevatt Veteran Member • Posts: 8,047
Re: Canon 7d-ii rumor: multi-lawyer sensor a'la Foveon

HBowman wrote:

If Canon come with a foveon like sensor, be sure it will be better in every way than the actual foveon. First, it will handle ISO and second, every raw developers will support it. They can't go other way around.

That said, I do not know if it will be a true 3 layers sensor. I do not know if Foveon patents are in public domain yet. If yes, others can use it. If no, they can circumnavigate it.

The fact that the absorption depth of light in silicon is wavelength dependent is a fact of physics - it is not patentable. http://micro.magnet.fsu.edu/primer/java/digitalimaging/ccd/quantum/ It has been know for well over 75 years.

What Foveon patented was an H/W implementation it use this phenomenon - not the phenomenon itself - to be able to calculate an RGB output for use in a digital imaging sensor.

Fuji and Canon (and probably a combination of Sony and Nikon) have been exploring a full color sensor and have all have issued patents on the subject to exploit this phenomenon.  The key to the susses of such a sensor will be more related to its noise performance and ISO performance.  In todays market, good noise and ISO performance is assumed.  Right now Canon has fallen behind Nikon in the top end camera performance.  Just check out DXO Mark's ratings.  Canon needs to hit a home run - especially in the FF lines or else it will be giving that high end up to Nikon.

I look for Sony to release a full color sensor at some  point but only if it can actually compete with their current crop of high resolution CFA sensors in resolution/noise and ISO performance.  If they do I expect it will be full frame instead of an ASP-C.

-- hide signature --

Truman
www.pbase.com/tprevatt

Truman Prevatt's gear list:Truman Prevatt's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R +8 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow