Nikon 1.8g's vs Sigma 1.4 Art Series

Started Aug 16, 2014 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
pgeorges Regular Member • Posts: 262
Nikon 1.8g's vs Sigma 1.4 Art Series

I ended up purchasing the Sigma 35mm and 50mm 1.4 Art lenses when I got my D800e. Image quality wise I can't complain at all but I am really tempted to sell them and go for a couple of Nikon 1.8g lenses instead (the 28mm 1.8g and 50mm 1.8g seem the best bet but the 50mm 1.4g does have a wider throw on the focus ring which is handy for video).

Why? The Sigma lenses are heavy and huge! I already have my heavy zooms so when I put primes on I feel like the camera should weigh significantly less. The size and weight difference between the 50mm lenses is absolutely huge.

I should note: I've since started filming on the A7S and the weight definitely is much more of a factor on that small camera which is adding to my temptation.

From what I can see the Nikon 1.8g lenses ain't bad, particularly the 28mm. It just seems like these days no one bothers with these primes and goes for the Sigma so I wouldn't mind some opinions

-- hide signature --
 pgeorges's gear list:pgeorges's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 24mm f/2.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D +4 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
9ck
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
xtm
9ck
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow