Can Pentax be used professionally?

Started Aug 13, 2014 | Discussions thread
bkpix
bkpix Contributing Member • Posts: 690
Re: Can Pentax be used professionally?

I hesitate to plop myself into these piranha-infested waters, but would like to share my own experience.

After shooting Pentax exclusively for several years, I began to move a couple years ago -- a little reluctantly -- back towards Canon, which I had begun with in the 1990s.

This all came about when I left my full-time newspaper (writing) job last year and began to shoot much more heavily. I don't make more than half my income from photography but make a substantial amount from a combination of fine art, portrait and event work.

In brief, I found that when the pressure is on, Pentax doesn't always come through. Slower autofocus was the first problem -- event photography is just easier with Canon -- compounded by chronic USM issues with my two main lenses, the 16-50 and 50-135 DA*. Repair with CRIS was slow and expensive. I've had other repair issues as well (lens release button falling off, K-5 mirror over-run), leading to a gradual loss in confidence in the system for get-it-done work.

I started to move back towards Canon because of long-lens availability. I got a 7D and used a 100-400 L zoom on it. Cool rig! Soon I found myself taking the Canon gear on any paid job just because I felt more confident in getting the job done. Then I got a 6D and discovered it was a wonderful body for most of my work.

So, yes, of course you can shoot Pentax professionally. But if you have a choice, another system might be better for you.

bkpix's gear list:bkpix's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Pentax K-5 Pentax K-5 IIs Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 135mm F2L USM +11 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
SBS
SBS
SBS
SBS
SBS
JNR
JNR
SBS
SBS
SBS
SBS
SBS
SBS
SBS
SBS
SBS
SBS
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow