Exposure Compensation in Aperture and Manual mode

Started Aug 14, 2014 | Discussions thread
JoePhoto Veteran Member • Posts: 6,916
Re: Exposure Compensation in Aperture and Manual mode

NikonNature wrote:

I suggest that you start by setting your camera to Aperture Priority. This takes advantage of the camera's meter, but also lets you override it as needed. You set the aperture based on the subject, and the camera takes care of the shutter speed. If you want a shallow depth of field (portrait, wildlife, action) you open the aperture to f/4 or whatever your widest setting is. If you want more depth of field (landscape, group shot, architecture) you close the aperture as needed - usually in the f/8 to f/16 range. As you change the aperture, the camera will adjust the shutter speed accordingly. If you take a shot and it's under or over exposed, then use the EC button to adjust. If the shutter gets too slow for sharp images then just bump the ISO up.

I don't usually suggest Aperture Priority (A) to beginners.  It would place too much emphasis on Depth of Field (DOF) which I propose is least important to a beginner.  And if his choice is f/16, (for widest DOF), it almost guarantees a shutter-speed that will produce "shaky" photos.

I strongly suggest that shutter-speed is the MOST IMPORTANT aspect of a "beginners" images because if they are "shaky", then DOF is irrelevant if "everything" is shaky/blurry.

So I recommend a beginner studying and experiment with "shutter-speeds"first, (in Shutter Priority mode), to know what he can safely hand-hold, (especially tele) OR which shutter-speeds are best for "moving" objects.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow