Re: It is not AF problem

Zoran K wrote:

KSV wrote:

Zoran K wrote:

KSV wrote:

Zoran K wrote:

KSV wrote:

Zoran K wrote:

Some of the Df users told me that focusing in low light conditions with this camera can be challenging.

Those of you who use this camera please let me know what are your experiences ?

Without doing any formal tests it strongly seems to me that Df AF system is as sensitive as D700 one. Understandable that D4 is better indeed. Problem with Df AF lies not in AF itself, but in sensor that can capture images in very dim situations hence promoting you use AF where is not enough light for it. There was no such problem with D700 purely because maximum practical ISO was 1600 and people did not bother about AF performance in dark.

I use SU800 for AF assist light - works like a treat.

Do you have Df yourself ?

If so, can you make a low light AF focus test between D700 and Df ?

I have D3 and ocassionaly I have problem focusing in low light. I prefer not to use a flash as a remedy for poor focusing in low light conditions because it makes the whole camera system heavier and cumbersome to use.

I have both and I try to make comparison this evening.

SU800 not a flash, but flash commander. It somewhat adds bulkiness, but it not really heavy. And I like SU800 light assist - it works far better then SB600 one.

Thank's a lot.

I have SB800, but as I mention, I don't want to add unnecessary weight to the camera system.

I am talking about SU800, not SB800!!!

Also I checked AF performance in dark garage and found that D700 AF outperforming Df AF in dim environment. It is difficult to judge how much it better without controlling lighting, but it seems quite noticeable.

Thank you so much again!

It seems that SU800 can remedy the Df's poor low light AF performance. Unfortunately that remedy is not cheep.

Genuine SU800 is above $300, but there is chonaze debao version for mere $100 and tests suggested that it works without problem. Df has not got internal flash and SU800 is incredibly handy in multi-flash setup. You can use flash that commander capable like SB900, but it far more expensive then SU800 and well so often you do not really like to fire flash from camera in multi-flash environment, so it is actually cheaper to buy SU800 and use your SB900 gun as remote flash.

KSV's gear list:KSV's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Nikon D700 Nikon Df Nikon AF Nikkor 24mm f/2.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D +8 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
NCB
KSV
KSV
KSV
KSV
KSV
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow