JeffAHayes Senior Member • Posts: 1,968
Re: Can Pentax be used professionally?

david tittermary wrote:

david tittermary wrote:

Some of u guys crack me up lol
--
david t
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tittermary/

Glad to provide you with a little levity. Care to say why though?

I realize your post was somewhat satirical made out of frustration due to the service issues, since its my understanding from what I have seen you are using pentax professionally or a least semi.

You made the post and some people start saying no that you can't when clearly you are. I'm sure pentax will get the service stuff figured out.

As a side note its my personal belief that anything that is mission critical should have a spare. Not necessarily an exact duplicate but something that can get you by. For me if I'm up in the mountains or somewhere else remote, no matter how good customer service is I'm not expecting a helicopter delivery the next day.
--
david t
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tittermary/

Well, actually, according to Joe McNally, Nikon DOES have that level of service for its TOP PRO SHOOTERS via its professional service arrangement (I don't recall if he said he pays extra for this, or simply gets it because he's like a "walking billboard" for Nikon, but I assume MOST serious, high-end Nikon pros probably DO have to pay extra for such service).

I don't recall which of his books I read it in, but he said he actually can, and has been, shooting in the middle of the desert in some place like Namibia, hundreds of miles from civilization, when he had major equipment malfunctions, and Nikon actually DID bring him service and/or replacement equipment via helicopter, after he called them via SATELLITE PHONE -- the only phone that would work where he was -- right to where he was working, literally IN THE MIDDLE OF NOWHERE.

I don't know if Canon has any service agreement that goes to that degree, but I'm certain nobody else does -- including Pentax. There simply AREN'T enough high-end Pro shooters doing that sort of work out in deserts, or on mountain-tops, to justify such a service arrangement. Folks like McNally and others, are the sort who lie next to the Masai river in blinds, covered with mosquitos, for days or weeks on end, to capture extreme telephoto shots of crocodiles grabbing, drowning and eating wildebeests and zebra as they attempt the crossing in their bi-annual migration. Such shots end up as covers and/or full-page/two-page spreads in National Geographic and similar publications. So it's worth the trouble and effort to the photographer(s) and it's also worth the effort to Nikon to provide that sort of service for them in order to keep them satisfied as loyal customers.

As  Pentax shooter, until and unless Pentax were to attain that sort of status and position, I do not and would not expect that level of service. Rather, were I to attempt anything even REMOTELY like that, I'd do as others have said; I'd have at least TWO copies of my main camera (which McNally always does), plus at least two copies of a high-end "second-level" camera, and enough lenses, with perhaps more than one copy of the most critical ones -- plus as many batteries and other accessories as I could carry. In all his books, McNally lays out what he keeps in his camera bag, and also what he carries while on assignment where he doesn't have easy access to replacements. It's QUITE A BIT. As a shooter of a second-or-third-tier brand, one would need to carry that much, perhaps even more, in order to be assured of not ending up "holding the bag" at the most inopportune time.

As far as the Ricoh/Pentax service center having a turn-around time that exceeds 3-4 weeks, I don't care who you are or what you say, I agree that's TOO LONG, and they need to FIX IT, even if that means they "farm out" some of the repair work when they get more repairs in at one time than they're prepared to deal with. Even the best APS-C camera in the world means NOTHING if you can't get it serviced in a timely manner. I bought the $20 Pentax brand extended warranty with my K-3 (a first for me). It gives me an extra two years warranty and also gives me a free factory cleaning and re-calibration during that extra 2-year period. But until and unless I get A SECOND K-3, I'll be HIGHLY RETICENT to send my K-3 off for that free cleaning and re-calibration so long as these "horror stories" about inexorable wait times for Pentax repair continue!

Jeff

-- hide signature --

A word is worth 1/1000th of a picture... Maybe that's why I use so many words!

JeffAHayes's gear list:JeffAHayes's gear list
Pentax WG-3 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-30 Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM +8 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
SBS
SBS
SBS
SBS
SBS
JNR
JNR
SBS
SBS
SBS
SBS
SBS
SBS
SBS
SBS
SBS
SBS
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow