Can Pentax be used professionally?

Started Aug 13, 2014 | Discussions thread
viking79
viking79 Forum Pro • Posts: 14,137
Can a horse be ridden bareback?

Why wouldn't you be able to use Pentax professionally?  I use a Samsung NX30 pseudo professionally, and it isn't as well built as the K-3.

Let me elaborate.  The only reason I stopped using my K-5 was the low light focus issue made it not useful for shooting receptions/events which I do a lot of.  At the time I was going to smaller mirrorless cameras for my regular carry camera so I needed an SLR to shoot weddings/events.  At the time my choice was to go D700 and a small mirrorless.

For a variety of reasons I ended up with the Samsung, and after a few years the Samsung NX got good enough for what I need to shoot weddings, focuses well in low light, good EVF, responsive operation, good lenses (16-50mm f/2-2.8 and 85mm f/1.4) and TTL bounce flash, so I sold off all my SLR/SLT gear and have only mirrorless now.

Pentax offers all the things I see necessary for the pro shooting I would do, and I imagine I would be perfectly happy shooting a wedding with a 16-50 f/2.8 and FA 85mm f/1.4 or 50-135mm f/2.8.  However, I already have the Samsung and I have grown too fond of CDAF focus accuracy to go back.

That is my story, so what does this have to do with the question?  I am using gear professionally, which wasn't really designed for it, and I am doing fine.  Yes, the Pentax could easily be used professionally, and I think a lot of the gotchas are not there any more (like low light focus is improved).  I felt I was struggling too much at the time to get results I wanted from my Pentax gear (hence the bareback statement in the title of my post), but think I would be fine with their current crop of cameras.  With any professional shooting you should have a backup plan.

Eric

viking79's gear list:viking79's gear list
Sony Alpha a7R Samsung NX1 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
SBS
SBS
SBS
SBS
SBS
JNR
JNR
SBS
SBS
SBS
SBS
SBS
SBS
SBS
SBS
SBS
SBS
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow