Comparison of: Zeiss Otus, Sigma 50 Art, Nikkor 58G, Nikkor 50/1.4G, Nikkor 50/1.8G

Started Aug 10, 2014 | Discussions thread
sgoldswo
sgoldswo Veteran Member • Posts: 5,717
Re: Comparison of: Zeiss Otus, Sigma 50 Art, Nikkor 58G, Nikkor 50/1.4G, Nikkor 50/1.8G

paulski66 wrote:

designdog wrote:

- the Sigma Art is a high resolution, very sharp lens with acceptable, not great bokeh. Lets just agree that the Sigma Art produces the sharpest images available in a moderately priced 50mm lens. Got that.

- the Nikon 58 is a great bokeh, transition lens with acceptable sharpness. Can we not also agree that the Nikon 58 makes the most beautiful images of people, nature, etc available in a moderately priced lens?

No.

a) $1,700 for a normal prime is not "moderately priced."

b) You're essentially asking everyone to agree that the 58 is the best lens on the market as a baseline assumption ("takes the most beautiful images of people, nature, etc"). I don't really agree with this. Does it have the better bokeh than the Sigma? Yes. Moderately. But I don't think it's a foregone conclusion that it is a better lens.

I didn't read it like that. I understood beautiful to mean aesthetically pleasing in this context.

To put designdog's post another way, the Sigma is a sharpness and microcontrast monster and the Nikkor is a bokeh monster. There have been lenses falling into one or more of these camps for a long time.

I have a m-mount Zeiss planar which is ludicrously sharp (I suspect it may be better than the Sigma at F5.6 though it is much weaker wide open) and a Summilux which is a bokeh monster too. They aren't "better" than each other. They are just different. A side observation would be that the Zeiss was a lot cheaper than the Leica...

sgoldswo's gear list:sgoldswo's gear list
Leica Q Leica M Typ 240 Nikon Df Nikon D810 Nikon D750 +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
xtm
xtm
xtm
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow