Will I lose any autofocus speed using the LA-EA4 to mount A-lens onto my A7r?

Started Aug 13, 2014 | Questions thread
EinsteinsGhost
EinsteinsGhost Forum Pro • Posts: 11,977
Re: Will I lose any autofocus speed using the LA-EA4 to mount A-lens onto my A7r?

wsalopek wrote:

Yes, I do feel with A mount lenses and the LAEA4 it is at least as fast as with the A7 and the E mount lens I have.

Wayne

I have a Nex-6 and an LA-EA2...and while of course the particular lens makes a focusing-speed difference, I too have found focusing with the LA-EA2 and an A-Mount lens, about as fast as the Nex-6 connected directly to an E-Mount lens.

I disagree. There is no way NEX-6 with an E-mount lens can do this with AF-C (and 10 fps mode is all but useless), all images using Minolta 200mm f/2.8 G APO HS. I would add that under these conditions (especially the speed), most DSLRs will struggle to keep up:

Fast movement away from the camera (one of first images taken with LA-EA2, at the time, on NEX-3)

"Dust Storm"

No sun (near dusk)

I am considering getting a full frame camera for indoor (poor light) sports, and trying to stay with Sony (as I consider quite seriously a Nikon D610 as the Nikon lens choices are terrific/cheaper), so being able to use an A7 with the LA-EA4 and A-Mount lenses, reasonably effectively, is great news to hear.

-- hide signature --

Bill

EinsteinsGhost's gear list:EinsteinsGhost's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow