Will I lose any autofocus speed using the LA-EA4 to mount A-lens onto my A7r?

Started Aug 13, 2014 | Questions thread
abortabort Senior Member • Posts: 1,734
Re: Will I lose any autofocus speed using the LA-EA4 to mount A-lens onto my A7r?

Wayne Brissette wrote:

I have the LA-EA4 and use it on the A7, and while I only have a single E mount lens the (24-70mm), I think it's faster in focusing Alpha lenses. However, by how much, I can't really say, maybe a little. Without testing the 7R, which I've never done, it's probably not a fair evaluation for you.

Wayne,

So you are saying that when using your A7 (not the S or R), you feel that the A7 focuses faster (or at least AS fast) with the LA-EA4 + an A-mount lens, vs. the A7 + an E-Mount lens?

Thanks

-- hide signature --

Bill

As focus is determined by the adapter rather than the sensor (compared to using native lenses) the AF will be the same no matter which of the 3 bodies you use. The A7 is pretty speedy in good light but struggles in low light, A7R is worse. The LA-EA4 is much more reliably fast in lower light and still fastvin good light.

I disgree about the A700 being faster, though it doesn have the high speed motor mode (LA and a57 etc only have single non switchable speed).

abortabort's gear list:abortabort's gear list
Sony RX100 Fujifilm X100S Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Leica M8 Nikon D700 +54 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow