Comparison of: Zeiss Otus, Sigma 50 Art, Nikkor 58G, Nikkor 50/1.4G, Nikkor 50/1.8G

Started Aug 10, 2014 | Discussions thread
HSway
HSway Veteran Member • Posts: 3,147
Re: Comparison of: Zeiss Otus, Sigma 50 Art, Nikkor 58G, Nikkor 50/1.4G, Nikkor 50/1.8G

Thanks.

Very little time this week so one thinks carefully entering this.

I would say nice review.

Doubtful intentions.

Wrong language.

Some thoughts

1) the review is good, good samples (great presentation), covers something and doesn’t cover everything, of course it doesn’t. So the weight put in it should be in line with this fact. In other words, not a slightest need for getting carried away, let alone at this scale. A bit of humility and a more deliberate approach here is good when entering the space as wide and far reaching as the photography and when assessing the tools it is created with.

2) it doesn’t even go into long distance sharpness. This may be some 30-50% of use combined for various scenarios on an average for this lens (58G).

3) 58G is a speciality lens, the only one of the bunch. It is marketed like this as well. Going by a simple but imo sound logic, it is not to be compared with a different, non-speciality lens. It makes it more than just apples and oranges. When the comparison is done, it I think requires adequate latitude applied for it to have more value.

As for Nikon, all considered, personally, somewhat vague 'I am not sure' about the 58G is all I can say.

As for the fact that users enjoy and value using it, and create compelling photography with it, it has my respect both as a tool and as a contribution to photography that I think should not be encouraged to be slipping towards too much uniformity or standardization.

-- hide signature --
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
xtm
xtm
xtm
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow