RX100 MIII for Me?

Started Aug 12, 2014 | Questions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
Flat view
Lonnie Janzen
Lonnie Janzen Forum Member • Posts: 78
RX100 MIII for Me?

I am looking at gettng the MIII. I have been "downsizing" for years. I have gone through the Nikon D2X->D300->Panny G1->Oly OMD. This is my next step. The RX100 looked like just what I wanted. Since I do not worship at the "Temple of Low Light" or do videos. A super fast lens is not vital to me. Most of my photography is travel/landscape/buildings . If you look at my Flickr stream you will see that I think the MIII will fill abouty 90%+ of my needs. My biggest concern is at the other end of the f range. I do a lot of waterfalls and to get the nice silky shots I need slow shutter speeds I generally work from 1/10 -1sec range. The lack of the ability to use my 10 stop ND for building shots is of some concern. If needed I can always break out the OMD for those shots. I have also read that the MIII is a little lacking in the Macro range. I can live with that if I have too. To be honest I do most of my "Macro" flower shots with my 45-200.

Do you think the Sony is a good fit? The RX10 is bigger than I want to go, I could just keep my wonderful OMD:-) I don't want to say cost is no object, but since this is gong to be my main camera I want a first class insturment. If only the RX1 had a zoom... I have tried the pirme lens thing and found I got too frustrated. Just me I guess. The images were great, but it was not fun shooting.

Thanks for everyones time.

-- hide signature --

Thanks Lonnie
Olympus OMD
Panasonic 14-45
Panasonic 45-200
PL 45 mm Macro

Oly 17mm f/1.8

Oly 75mm f/1.8

Lonnie Janzen's gear list:Lonnie Janzen's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon D2X Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony RX1 Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow