Is this proof of, "It's the photographer"?

Started Aug 10, 2014 | Discussions thread
Joris1632 Senior Member • Posts: 2,059
Re: "It's the photographer" is a condescending and incomplete cliche

You've just proved my point , "only", "artistically", please!

Your point excluded an important aspect of photography, the technical side of it. You were making an invalid comparison between a book on composition and the technical merits of a superior lens. Those are two different things.

No, I said for someone who already has $1000s of gear a book on composition might improve his work more.

Why is sharper better? What are your universal criteria? Mine are simple, does the shot achieve it's aims or not? Is the aim to convey an emotion or accurately reproduce a test chart?

A sharper lens affects all results, not just test charts. A sharper lens, all other things being equal, can convey more emotion by actually recording more detail. Don't need so much detail for a particular project? The results can be blurred through software. Adding detail when it is not there in the first place though is not possible. A sharper lens also helps a photographer crop more aggressively, potentially saving a shot. A better lens also has less distortion and light fall off, and consistent sharpness across the frame. Most photographer's aims include the technical.

I would sincerely like to know how emotion is conveyed by more detail.

Online there are billions of superbly exposed and processed images of everything. A few stand out because they are crafted, "composed" and created by someone's particular vision.

Which is helped further by having technically superior equipment.

Can you give some examples?

The art and craft of picture making is often seen as a sort of excuse for sloppy technique but in fact creativity usually demands a very high technical capability.

The technical you speak of is not the technical I speak of. A better word for you to use would be technique.

-- hide signature --

Joris1632

No, I mean technical. Many great photographers were technical innovators. Some even still build their own cameras to achieve a particular result.

Learning photography is learning to see the world, and to see it through the eye of the camera. If your ambition is to produce the ultimate corner-to-corner ultra-sharp, noiseless photograph with perfect colour and tonal range then you have a long and weary road ahead because there is always a better sensor or a sharper lens just around the corner. And at the top end, tiny increases in quality come with a huge increase in price.

Why not enjoy whatever you have? Look at some great photos, look at the world. Remember people looking at your pictures are going to see what you saw, not lppm,

regards,

-- hide signature --

Joris1632

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow