Comparison of: Zeiss Otus, Sigma 50 Art, Nikkor 58G, Nikkor 50/1.4G, Nikkor 50/1.8G

Started Aug 10, 2014 | Discussions thread
coreyh Senior Member • Posts: 1,010
Re: I hate to be confrontational but...

FlowBerlin wrote:

sgoldswo wrote:

I'll question one other thing, which is the extent to which the Sigma has nice bokeh. Bokeh is of course subjective and I wince whenever I see people trying to quantify it objectively, but put any kind of distance between you and your subject (say 1.5 to 3m or greater) and you'll see very nervous bokeh from the Sigma.

Uhm... cannot confirm this at ALL. Did you see page 3 of the review?

Urban environments with straight lines in the background seem to be a much easier draw for all lenses than an actual outdoor nature environment. (may not show large bokeh differences) You even said yourself, you have too much green on that one photo for your website. Maybe the 58mm just doesn't suit your shooting style. That does happen believe it or not and now you may have formed a prejudice towards it that won't allow you to see the pros. The 58mm is not all magic like you have shown in your review.

Personally, I do own the 58mm... I also own many sharp lenses with mediocre bokeh. What I would wonder is how large are you printing? I have printed many images from the 58mm wide open at 16x24" and they look fantastic. Every bit as sharp as say my Sigma 35mm wide open. Above that print size the Sigma 35mm and likely the Sigma 50mm would print sharper results.

What I do notice when printing my 58mm over the Sigma 35mm is that the bokeh and rendering is much better on the 58mm. Maybe it would be more of the same with the 50 art? I don't know, but I don't think it hurts to have a sharp lens in your arsenal and also one that renders such beautiful photos is so many difficult environments....

I have learned from the 58mm though that there is more to photography and lenses than sharpness. I have the option of going very sharp with my 35mm Sigma, 70-200mm VRII and the 300mm VRII, but for some reason I'm drawn over and over again to shoot with my slightly less sharp 58mm.

Thanks for the review though.  I appreciate any effort people like yourself put into these comparisons so others can take from them what you need.

coreyh's gear list:coreyh's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/2.8G ED VR II +8 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
xtm
xtm
xtm
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow