Is this proof of, "It's the photographer"?

Started Aug 10, 2014 | Discussions thread
mostlyboringphotog Senior Member • Posts: 8,095
Re: "It's the photographer" is a condescending and incomplete cliche

bford wrote:

mostlyboringphotog wrote:

bford wrote:

Glen Barrington wrote:

http://blog.flickr.net/en/2014/07/09/photographer-spotlight-eduardo-acierno/

The term "it's the photographer" is a condescending cliche that also ignores the other half of photography, the technical half, the technology involved that allows someone to produce a technically superior image. Photography, unlike something like painting, has always been a very technical, technology affected craft.

The cliche is also condescending because it looks down upon those that simply want to improve the technical aspect of their photography. If I were the photographer in that article, I would also not be indirectly referring to my photos as "great" and "masterpieces" while in the process of stating the obvious. Again, condescending.

Is the skill of the photographer important? Of course. Any photographer knows that. Is the technology of the camera used important? Of course, otherwise Ansel Adams would have used 35mm instead of medium and large format. A sports photographer wouldn't use a camera with high frame rates and superior AF. That photographer's pictures, which are nothing really special to begin with, could have been improved upon, technically, with a better quality camera.

This is also part of the camera marketing that suggests if you get the latest wizbang camera, you too can make the photo of your wife to look like a fashion model and so the one who looks at your photo of beautiful model will invariably ask if you used the latest wizabang cam.

I see no such marketing. In fact, I never have.

I envy your sequestered life...

mostlyboringphotog's gear list:mostlyboringphotog's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Pentax 645Z Nikon 1 J5
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow